Monday 18 April 2016

Get your sweat on with Bikram Yoga

Okay so its one of those phad's that I feel a lot of people gave a bash, but with the craze being over the question is who is actually doing it still? Well I can tell you that the people who are still doing it are the ones benefiting.
Bikram Yoga, for those who don't know, is a set routine of positions that lasts for an hour and a half. Sounds okay right? Let me just add that you are doing it in a 40 degrees Celsius room (yeah, that is the catch). The first time I went into the room I was sweating before the class had even started!

So what does it consist of exactly?

Well you undergo 26 postures including the two breathing exercises at the beginning and end of the class. It's always the same postures which, I at first thought it could get a bit dull and repetitive, but actually really helps you get into the flow of the class. Before you know it you're ready to move from your Camel to your Rabbit instinctively without being told (although it is important that you stay at the same speed as the rest of your class to share the energy. )
One of the best things about Bikram is that you are allowed to go at your own personal pace though, there's no need to keep up with the most flexible. The first few times you go, your main intention may be to simply stay in the heat for the full 90 minutes.
My local Bikram offered a 30 day trial for £30. My friend and I both did this together going 5 times a week for the duration of the trail. I realise now looking back at this that you really do see the benefits in your flexibility and general well being the more regularly you go.
On the note of flexibility, being in the heat actually helps you with this! This is great for people that are put off regular yoga due to worrying about their flexibility.



What are the benefits?

Well if you want the full extensive list of everything Bikram claims to do then Google will have all your answers. I however am going to speak about what I personally found rewarding.

  • My skin was clearer after a week or so of sweating it out.
  • I felt more flexible and could see myself improving on the postures.
  • I felt more relaxed on a day to day basis.
  • I enjoyed having an hour where there was nothing else I was focussing on, I couldn't check my phone and I would try my best not to let my mind wander during the class (which I found easier in Bikram than normal Yoga classes).
  • It got me drinking more water. Its very important to stay hydrated before and after the class. I made the mistake of not being one time and ended up with a splitting headache, however I learnt from my mistake and it was plenty of water from then on in. 
Another pro to Bikram is that it can be a social activity. I found everyone was very supportive and chatty with one another before and after the class. Herbal Tea was provided for everyone outside the room once it was finished and people would sit and talk through their Bikram experiences; it's a really nice community atmosphere. 

So, you convinced to try it yet?
The only draw back I would say is that Birkam can be expensive, therefore it's worth checking out to see if they offer student discounts or trail sessions. 
It also gives you the excuse to use some of that cute gym gear that you bought for the gym at Christmas and haven't made use of yet!

Thanks for reading x  

No comments:

Post a Comment